Before a Flood
- Prepare an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
- Avoid building in floodplains unless structure is elevated and reinforced.
- Elevate the furnace, water heater and electric panel.
- Consider installing “check valves” to prevent floodwater backups.
- Construct barriers to stop floodwater from entering the building and seal walls in basements with waterproofing compounds.
- Six inches of water will stall or cause control issues in most passenger vehicles.
- A foot of water will float many passenger vehicles.
- Two feet of rushing water can carry away most passenger vehicles including SUV’s and pick-ups.
- Do not drive around barricades.
- Do not try to take short cuts and stick to designated evacuation routes.
- Avoid driving at night when it is harder to recognize flood dangers.