RV Owners Are A Special Breed

They love the open road and the sense of discovery that awaits beyond the next bend in the road. But while those traveling in RV’s may be excited to escape the hassles and burdens of daily life, many mistakenly believe that RV insurance is much like car insurance.

There are several important differences to be aware of. In fact, if you don’t have proper insurance for your RV, you could end up facing financial hardship if you should have an accident.

RV near ocean

What makes RV insurance unique?

RV Insurance is like two policies in one: it protects your vehicle like car insurance and it also protects your living area like home insurance.

Collision and road emergencies are definite risks to insure against. But when you are camping or parked, your RV becomes your home and needs to be protected against theft, fire, liability and other disasters.

Insurance for motor homes is specially designed to protect people that travel. And because your vehicle is usually larger than others, you should have greater liability coverage than standard autos, and this is only one important coverage option you might consider.

Looking At the Specifics

There are several classes of recreational vehicles and they each need special insurance:

Class A Trailer


Covers RVs built like large commercial buses. This kind of motor home is complete and contains everything you need. Some of these homes are very expensive, costing up to a few hundred thousand dollars.

Class B Trailer Icon

Class B

Vehicles resemble vans, but have taller ceilings so you can stand up inside. They also have a longer wheelbase to accommodate the weight and additional room they provide.

Class C

These vehicles are large vehicles made from trucks or vans. Fifth-wheel trailers like larger homes on wheels are specifically made for pulling on the highway and camping or long-term use.

Other types of RV’s that need coverage


Contain ‘toys’ such as snowmobiles and dirt bikes.


Especially vehicles with sleeper units


Can be collapsed for easy storage and transport.


All Terrain Vehicles including three- and four-wheelers.

Standard Motorhome Insurance

Standard insurance policy coverage will depend on your RV. Units that are motorized need the same kind of coverage as your car, like liability, comprehensive, and collision.

If you only plan to vacation once or twice a year, you may be able to get by with seasonal coverage. Trailer RVs will need insurance coverage for damage, both on and off the road.

When you insure your RV, you might want to consider these important options:

-Insurance for full-time RVers

-Camper liability — since you are responsible for what happens inside your mobile home and the lot or campsite it’s parked on (just like your house.)

-Extra bodily and property damage liability is not uncommon, especially if you have an expensive and large RV.

-24 hour roadside assistance is a worthwhile feature that could really save you time and money even if you only use it once. And if you never need it, what peace of mind!

-Emergency expense money

-Total loss coverage

-RV contents coverage

-Insurance for any ATVs you may be towing, both for damage they may sustain being towed or being driven.

The Graham Insurance Difference

  • While most insurance products are similar in price and function, insurance providers are very different when it comes to structuring a policy that actually covers you.

Contact us and let the professionals at our company help you forge the strongest shield possible to help you protect the things you are working hard to build.